Boards & Commissions
The Town of Suffield is committed to providing the most expeditious approval process it can. A recent example would have had a prospective project through the entire approval process in less than two months. We are geared to provide whatever services are necessary to insure the success of our business community.
The Town of Suffield has the authority under Connecticut General Statute 12-65(b) to grant tax incentives to a project. Each project is considered on a case by case basis by the Suffield Economic Development Commission. The Commission's recommendation is then forwarded to the Board of Selectmen for final approval. No town meeting action is necessary.
A new Economic Development Incentive Program (EDIP) is available for extension of roadways and utilities in Industrial and Planned Development Industrial Park zones. Developers may be rebated up to the full cost of design and installation from new tax revenue generated from the project over the course of up to seven years.
The Suffield Water Pollution Control Authority (WPCA) provides sewer service to all users in town. Because of this the Authority has a certain flexibility not attainable in other towns in our region which are under the jurisdiction of a regional sewer provider. It enables the WPCA to work directly with a client to provide them with the best possible service.
- Eversource has numerous programs which may be available to you.
- Yankee Gas has a variety of programs available all of which are customized to meet your direct needs. Programs include such things as reduced rates for economic development, conservation discounts, off peak seasonal reductions.
- The Connecticut Water Company provides water service to the site. Pressures should be more than adequate to handle whatever water demands may require.
- Bradley Airport Development Zone extends enterprise zone tax incentives to manufacturers and other specified businesses that develop or acquire property in the zone and create jobs.
- Inventories: There is no inventory tax in the State of Connecticut.
- Corporate Taxes: Connecticut's corporate income tax is a competitive 7.5%
- Other Tax Credits: Other tax credits may be available to you especially related to training.
The State of Connecticut has a number of programs to assist business relocation and expansion. The majority of the programs are in the form of aggressively prices loans and or loan guarantees. This financing is designed to supplement traditional financing, to fill gaps, and to assure that projects which create or retain jobs are done in Connecticut.
Several Suffield businesses have benefited from the State's Small Business Express Program.
The State Department of Labor and/or the Capitol Region Workforce Development Board have available a number a programs that may be of interest. These programs range from providing funding for training courses and materials, to locating pre-screened prospective employees, to assistance with the design of training programs.
The Connecticut State Technical Extension Program (CONN/STEP) provides technical assistance regarding process flow such as facility design, work flow, and training.
Foreign Trade Zone subzone status is available through FTZ#71 in Windsor Locks. this designation could be profitable if your company is importing and exporting foreign goods.
For additional information, please view the EDIP Program Guidelines.